Broody hen with diahrrea & now very pale droopy comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lamelde, Sep 21, 2010.

1. lamelde

lamelde Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2009
    Sparta, WI
    She seems fine otherwise (full of sass when I get near).

I have food & water within reach so she's been eating & drinking alright.

This is my first brooding hen [​IMG] sitting on eggs (due by the end of this week or beginning of next).

So, I'm not sure if this is normal for brooder hens or not.

Anyone with advice? Thanks, in advance.

2. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Hi. I hope your hen is just a little down because, she is a good mother and that she doesn't leave the nest enough just to take care of herself. But, the next thing I would check is if she is wormy.Worms deplete the body of color and make for messier bowel movements.

3. lamelde

Jul 3, 2009
    Sparta, WI
    Just got my meal worms in the mail today. I was going to let the first batch hatch out for a repeatable supply (but I just had to give her some - for the high protien value (I also gave her some scrambled eggs yesterday) any other suggestions for upgraded feeding?

How can I find out if it is worms - I've been using DE in the coops & nest boxes all along - shouldn't that prevent an infestation?

If it IS worms can I make a mash of (DE/starter feed/and water) to feed to her - will that get rid of the worms (assuming she has them)?

4. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    I really like wazine mixed in their water. With food i'm never sure if they digested enough,but, with waterthey have to eventually drink it.

5. lamelde

Jul 3, 2009
    Sparta, WI
    How can I find out if it is worms - will I see them wiggling in the poo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by