Broody Hen with eggs-no chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickiepoo, Aug 12, 2008.

1. chickiepoo

chickiepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    One of my hens has been setting a clutch for 24 days now and no chicks. She was broody for a bit over a week before I could get her some eggs. I had two setting at the same time and the other hatched 4 out of 6 Saturday (21st day).
    I guess that she will just set there until something hatches. Shouldn't I get another clutch or will she finally break? With those two broody and another hen still taking care of chicks she hatched a month ago, I only have one hen laying. I wasn't expecting to need her eggs for hatching so I haven't been tilting them.

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Do you have or can you get some day old chicks to put under her?

3. chickiepoo

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    I guess I can look around. That would be faster. I never thought one hen would hatch some and the other nothing! I figured a few for each and was curious to see if they would "share" or keep close tabs on the ones they hatched. The ones that hatched Saturday are already out scratching with mama and bonded with her, so there is no way to snag any of them.
    Thanks

4. chickiepoo

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    Well, I hope I have solved this issue. I checked out the (eggs for sale or trade) category and I found barred rock eggs available immediately (been wanting some anyway) and they were shipped this morning from bishopschickens.
    Henny Penny is still full broody. When I get the fresh eggs, I'll catch her off the nest and break up her box and fix a fresh one with the Barred Rock eggs....and start the count down!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by