1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen with eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pikus1, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Pikus1

Pikus1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    I have a Speckled Sussex that has been setting on 5 eggs and day 21 is approaching. I have some questions that I am hoping someone can help me with. 1. She is currently setting on the eggs in a nesting box that is about 2 feet off the ground. I tried to move her and the eggs last one night but she wouldn't sit back on the eggs so I put them back where they were and she went back to setting on them so I left them there so she would stay on them. How worried should I be that they will venture out of the nesting box? I'm afraid they will fall and the other hens will peck at them. I can make a contraption that will surround the box to keep them safe but wasn't sure if that would be good or not. 2. How will I know when they start to hatch? I did candle the 5 eggs that she originally had twice and they all seemed viable. I saw a couple of days ago that there were 2 more so someone else left her a present. Once the original eggs hatch, can I take the others and put them in an incubator to finish them? 3. Is it safe to leave the chicks in the coop with the 16 hens and 1 rooster or should I take them out until they get bigger? We have used an incubator before which was very cool but this is our first go at one of our hens taking the lead.

Thanks ahead of time for any help!
    Cheryl

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    The chicks should be fine right where they are. The mamma hen is an accepted member of the flock so they should not harm her chicks. When they hatch and are ready to go in search of food and water they will jump down and mamma will warm and protect them on the ground. Yes you can put the two other eggs in the incubator. Good luck with your new chicks.

3. Pikus1

Pikus1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Oh thank you so much! I am a nervous momma!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by