Broody hen with Feed store chicks

JenBreese

Songster
10 Years
Jul 12, 2013
California
I have a very broody hen, blue laced wyandotte, whose raised chicks from eggs before. My daughter had 2 feed store chicks that are about 2 weeks old. We had them in the house but are going on vacation and my DH didn't want to take care of them while we are gone. So last night, I tucked them under the broody hen to see what would happen. I checked on them a bunch last night and at 6.30am this morning, she was puffed up over them. Do you think that did the trick? Would she be likely to reject them now?

Cute picture to make it worth reading. :D

Hen-chicks.jpg

I have a very broody hen, blue laced wyandotte, whose raised chicks from eggs before. My daughter had 2 feed store chicks that are about 2 weeks old. We had them in the house but are going on vacation and my DH didn't want to take care of them while we are gone. So last night, I tucked them under the broody hen to see what would happen. I checked on them a bunch last night and at 6.30am this morning, she was puffed up over them. Do you think that did the trick? Would she be likely to reject them now?

Cute picture to make it worth reading. :D

View attachment 2596154
When are you going on vacation? Keep an eye on her the next couple of days if possible. Really you should have very good idea if adoption is sucessful by mid-day today. If she takes them out of nestbox this morn, tidbits them to food, keeps them warm, etc, adoption appears to be sucessful. Ive put many feedstore chicks under many broody hens. Some adopt them willingly (with chicks ages ranging from just arrived at store up to 3 weeks old). Some wont adopt any chicks at all, but are good mothers to those they hatch. Your broody is beautiful, & yes her adorable picture made your question complete. Update this thread to let us know, with photo of mom and her new chicks of course! Im bettin on a sucessful adoption.

We are leaving on Saturday. My husband will be home to keep an eye. I'm really hopeful. This would be her second round of chicks. I will report back later this afternoon. Thank you for the encouragement. It was a rough night sleeping hoping the hen was still happy with them in the morning.

I wanted to follow up. By the evening before we left, it was clear the chicks wanted nothing to do with the hen. I think she was willing but they ran away from her and were hiding. So I pulled them out and they are being chick sat at my GF's while we are away. :( Oh well. It was a good try. I bet if they babies were younger it would have worked.

Back
Top Bottom