Broody Hen With Lice

I Love Layers

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 25, 2015
Really long story..
But here's the short version
Had a barred rock, thought she was killed, maybe gone broody looked everywhere. Found her 2 days ago, broody with 15 eggs.
Looked today inspected her, she has lice.
I was wondering what I should do to treat her as she is broody and has eggs. I know how to treat for lice but wondering if broodies are different.
Would it be easier to give the eggs to my other broody who's actually in the coop and has previous experience with chicks, and let her hatch them and raise them. Instead of having the Rock do it so that I can cure her of lice and not have to deal with the chicks getting it.

Last edited:
Really long story..
But here's the short version
Had a barred rock, thought she was killed, maybe gone broody looked everywhere. Found her 2 days ago, broody with 15 eggs.
Looked today inspected her, she has lice.
I was wondering what I should do to treat her as she is broody and has eggs. I know how to treat for lice but wondering if broodies are different.
Would it be easier to give the eggs to my other broody who's actually in the coop and has previous experience with chicks, and let her hatch them and raise them. Instead of having the Rock do it so that I can cure her of lice and not have to deal with the chicks getting it.
Depends on how long each of the broodies have been setting.
Would be good to give the eggs to the coop broody IF she has room and it doesn't mean she'll have a staggered hatch.

Depends on how long each of the broodies have been setting.
Would be good to give the eggs to the coop broody IF she has room and it doesn't mean she'll have a staggered hatch.

She's bigger then the Rock, she should have the room. I have a 6x3 cage that should work for them all and her. and they are all at the same point in incubation.

Good that they are at the same point of incubation.......now to see how many eggs the coop broody can cover.
How far along? Maybe candle to consolidate developing eggs and discard quitters.
I'd put the licey broody in a broody breaker cage, break her broodiness and treat her for lice at the same time.

Good that they are at the same point of incubation.......now to see how many eggs the coop broody can cover.
How far along? Maybe candle to consolidate developing eggs and discard quitters.
I'd put the licey broody in a broody breaker cage, break her broodiness and treat her for lice at the same time.

Not sure. I'm guessing a week maybe...

Have you candled before?
Should be able to at least see veins at a week.
I think 15 eggs is a lot for even a large hen...tho it is warm out.

Yes I have. I don't like taking eggs all the way up to the house so unless I do it at night I can't really tell. There were blood veins though
1f609.png

They all fit, she also rotates them

Back
Top Bottom