Broody hen with LOTS of eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by skya328, Sep 4, 2009.

1. skya328

skya328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Our buff Chantecler has gone broody for the first time. [​IMG] She just turned 6 months old. She went missing 3 nights ago and we finally found her hidden nest this morning. When she got up we were absolutely amazed. We counted 21 eggs! They are eggs from all of the girls, not just hers.

[​IMG]

Our chicken yard is not covered, so they can actually escape if they really want to. Do you think that the other hens were getting out laying their eggs in her nest, or is it possible that she moved them somehow? I can't see how a chicken would carry an egg 20 feet to a new nest... Any ideas?

Also, she is a fairly small chicken and has 21 eggs. What are the chances for a successful hatch with that many?

2. skya328

skya328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Forgot to put in there... Her hidden nest is outside the coop/yard about 20 feet. It is in some tall grass, but we put a portable yard over her to protect from predators...and to make sure nobody adds eggs to her nest.

3. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Wow- what fun! Post photos when they hatch and with the broody in there on her nest. She has quite a clutch there- I read that a large broody can set on up to 20 eggs- so if she's small that is probably too many- but it'll sure be interesting to see how many hatch. Post photos of the broody and the daddy plus it looks like some EE eggs in there too? Good luck- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by