Broody hen with MG hatches chicks !!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by olliegrow, Feb 28, 2015.

1. olliegrow

olliegrow Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2014
    Well as you can read in the title our broody hen who has had some signs of MG in the past, managed to hide some eggs from
    us and managed to hatch them out. So far its day 2 for he chicks and they all seem fine. My question is what to expect from the chicks. I know they will be carriers of the disease and wont be let out of our flock but will they survive or die quickly? Is there anything preventive I can do for the chicks to prevent death from MG? Im going to try my best at letting nature take its course an don't want to cull. Ive heard chicks with this disease wont survive or hatch from MG parents. I also know its a common disease and the hen that has the MG was probably a carrier from a chick, as no other chickens in our flock showed these signs. Thanks everyone...

2. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    MG mortality rate may be low, however the morbidity rate is very high. Morbidity refers to the state of being diseased or unhealthy within the chicken population. What makes it worse with MG is that it opens the door for other diseases to infect a flock in conjunction with MG infection...ie: IB, Infectious Coryza and other diseases. So, multiple diseases can be possibly involved if and when it occurs.
    Olligrow. IF your hen is a carrier of MG, your other birds and chicks will eventually get infected one way or the other, otherwise it may not be MG nor any other respiratory disease. A blood test can determine if it IS MG. It could be a fungal issue instead. Here's a link regarding info on MG including incubation times for the disease and other MG info:
    http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets/pdfs/avian_mycoplasmosis_mycoplasma_gallisepticum.pdf

4. olliegrow

Aug 27, 2014
    thanks for the info everyone, Im sure I will let nature take its course, in other words let them live but never leave my flock. I'll have to deal with the disease if thats what momma hen had ( MG ). If one of the chicks dies mysteriously I will ask for a necropsy. Im thinking if momma hen made it this far in life ill let here raise some chicks, just didn't want them to suffer...sorry to all of you who think I should cull but I promise im not going to contribute this disease to others outside my flock.

5. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    I recently lost an EE pullet, I have what I believe is marek's in my flock and I later found out the breeder the pullet came from has had birds test positive for MG. I was not that familiar with the disease but in hindsight the pullet was showing ongoing symptoms (respiratory problems, at one point a foamy eye). Anyway, I had also gotten a sibling from the same hatch (they were about 10 weeks old) and the sibling was very healthy with no health problems, unfortunately I quickly discovered he was a little roo and I had to return him to the breeder (I can only have one roo).

I would expect since the chicks may have been exposed at conception and have survived then some of the chicks may be sickly but others could be fine and never show symptoms. IMO.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You should consider getting bloodwork from your hen tested as it may not be MG, but rather a fungal problem which can be treated and cured.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  8. olliegrow

Aug 27, 2014
    will get blood work for sure, thanks for all the guidance...Im sure its MG or CRD because of the bubbles in the eyes and snotty nostrils and sneezing..
    If I got chicks that were vaccinted against mareks would they be less septable to MG or CRD ?

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    MG and CRD are the same thing. I dont know anything about Marek's disease. If my birds had either MG or Marek's, I'd cull them in a heartbeat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by