Broody hen with no eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunshynertc, Feb 18, 2015.

1. sunshynertc

sunshynertc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    California
    I am close to the maximum number of hens for the property, I have for the county I am in. Last year I had a broody hen and I got three one day old chicks and let the hen raise them. Now I have a second broody hen. I would like to know if I just leave her will she stop been broody eventually? She is on day 9. I know hens go to day 21 because that is when the chicks should hatch if she was sitting on eggs.
    Do I just leave her be -- the other hens are not disturbing her.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If you don't intend to let her hatch, break her. Brooding hens loose body condition as they sit, but the pay out for that is chicks to raise. No point in letting her go through the motions if there isn't a chance of chicks at the end. Put her in a wire bottom cage with food and water for a few days. That usually does the trick. If you don't have a wire bottomed cage, close up the nests so she can't access them.
    Good luck.

3. sunshynertc

sunshynertc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    California
    I read the techniques of others and used two in combination. After 2 days my hen is no longer in a broody mode.

Seeing her in the wire bottom cage made me feel sorry for her as she is such a sweet hen.

:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by