Broody Hen with no Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BolenBrood, Mar 4, 2008.

1. BolenBrood

BolenBrood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    Idaho
    I have four hens. My Buff Orpington will not leave the nest, puffs up and acts crazy when I take the eggs and will not leave the coop to enjoy time in the yard. I have picked her up and dumped her out but she just stays where I dump her. Has she lost her mind? [​IMG] This has been going on for weeks!

2. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    She's broody! Hens don't care if the eggs are fertile or not. When the time is right for them, they will go broody if they are so inclined. You are lucky, some hens never get broody. Go get some chicks at the feed store and she will raise them for you! [​IMG]

3. BolenBrood

BolenBrood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2007
    Idaho
    I can only have 4 hens (space and city code). Will she ever get over it?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can take her out of the nest. Put a gallon jug full of water back in there so she can't get in it. Wait it out!

Or get her some hatching eggs and find someone local to take the chicks when she hatches them.

5. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Quote:Take the eggs out several times each day, block the nest if you can. She will eventually get over it, but it can take a month or more and she won't lay that whole time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by