Broody hen with pale comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kaitie09, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I just noticed this a couple days ago, and can't figure out if it is normal or not. My broody hen has been sitting for close to 3 weeks. She is separated in another pen with a mom and her 2 week old chick. They get along fine and the all sleep together with the chick in between them. She has unlimited access to food and water. I even put a little cup of feed in her nest to she does not have to get up very much. I'm pretty sure she is in lock down right now because I have not seen her get off the nest for more than a couple minutes for the past few days. The mamma in with her is moulting too, so she might be starting soon.

I feed a big feeder of chick starter/grower, and then a little container of Layena natural. Broody has a mix of both directly in front of her. I have been bringing them greens and and frozen fruit once a day.

2. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    When hens stop laying to become broody, their combs becomes pale, and smaller. It will fill out, and go back to normal when they start laying again. Its a normal process. Have fun with the chicks. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by