Broody hen with really unhealthy poop!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Betty1, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Betty1

Betty1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    Cornwall, United Kindom
    My broody hen is doing yellow poops with kind of grainy bits in it. Also, her crop feels really grainy and gritty, and it's much bigger than usual! Please help!

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How long has she been broody? Is she eating/drinking? When hens are broody they do not look after themselves,dangerous to leave them broody(unless they are hatching chicks)as they can become malnourished. If she is not hatching,then i would suggest breaking her of broodiness. Place her in a cage with a wire bottom,broodiness is tied to elevated body temp,so a wire bottom allows air to circulate under them and on breast,cools them down. Place her where she can see light,broody's love the dark,you want to do the opposite of what she wants. Make sure she has food/water,leave her in cage for a few days,let her out,if she runs back to nest she is still broody,repeat procedure.When she is done with broodiness,she will resume normal chicken stuff,scratching,eating,dust bathing,etc. The longer a hen is broody,the longer it will take to break her.

3. Betty1

Jul 8, 2013
    Cornwall, United Kindom
    She's been broody since the 10th and she's hatching me some chicks, and she's definitely eating and drinking, but her poop she just did was disgusting! It's yellow and almost like diarrhoea but not quite.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Broody hens do have disgusting poop.

5. Betty1

Jul 8, 2013
    Cornwall, United Kindom
    This ones even more disgusting than all her other broody poops though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by