Broody Hen with what looks like bad eggs... call it a bust?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JenniferJoIN, May 3, 2009.

1. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I've had a hen that's been broody since April 5. A week or so later, I finally marked her eggs so that I could tell when other chickens were laying in her nest.

To make a long story, short... last week I finally seperated her into her own cage. There were a couple of eggs that had veining.

Today, we got back from being out of town and one of the eggs had busted and the smell is HORRIBLE. I'm guessing that the egg rotted underneath of her. Now the dried, rotten egg is all over the other eggs. I candled the eggs again and none of the eggs with veining have changed since last week. So should I call the hatch a bust and give her new eggs to set on? The smell is just horrible, it's all over her, all over the straw, all over the eggs...

If I give her new eggs, will she set long enough to hatch them?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Get rid of those eggs quick and be carefull they don`t explode on you. If they don`t hatch in 26 days, chuck`m. Depending on the indevidual hen, she may set and hatch a new clutch. I have had several game hens that would set for months......Pop

3. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I was afraid of that.

The smell is just horrible!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by