Broody hen Without eggs to sit on!

Newbie6789

Songster
Mar 4, 2020
We let our hen sit on a nest earlier this year, hatched 1 duckling on July 2nd. She is brooding again on the nest she formerly sat on WITHOUT any eggs! Is this normal? I don't want her to get run down. I only plan to let her sit on 1 nest/yr. I try to shoo her out and she gets right back in. Any ideas?

We let our hen sit on a nest earlier this year, hatched 1 duckling on July 2nd. She is brooding again on the nest she formerly sat on WITHOUT any eggs! Is this normal? I don't want her to get run down. I only plan to let her sit on 1 nest/yr. I try to shoo her out and she gets right back in. Any ideas?
With two Muscovy hens in my flock (and no drake), I spend all spring, summer, and early fall in “broody management mode”. As long as my girls are not murderous, I just keep them away from their nests during the day, although they sometimes develop second nests for daytime broodiness. I make sure they get off the nest several times per day to eat, drink, bathe, and pass the dreaded broody poo. I just let them sit it out.

However, if someone has completely lost their marbles to the point at which they are willing to cause one of their sisters actual harm, I destroy all nests (even ones belonging to their innocent Rouen sisters), and even place objects where the nests used to be. Every egg is picked up immediately, and every attempt at a nest is destroyed until the affected duck regains her senses (usually within 48 hours). I haven’t had to use “broody jail” in 2 years.

Honestly, as long as your girl is still taking care of herself and isn’t stalking her sisters and plotting their demise, I wouldn’t worry too much about it!

I have pretty good luck with destroying nests and removing eggs and anything remotely egg shaped/sized, like rocks. I check the barn 2-3 times a day, and leave their favorite nesting corners bare of bedding.

My duck was pretty determined this spring, but after several days of nest destroying she stopped. She also had no eggs, except for one she layed or stole from her sister most mornings (which I removed promptly.) She continued making nests and zooming around quacking grumpily like a broody duck for another few weeks, she just didn't stay on the empty nest all day as well. It was odd because typically she doesn't go broody unless she accumulates 8+ eggs!

I don't have muscovy, though!

Thank you for the suggestions. we have a ramp out the hut, so my husband pulled it up after he shooed her out. She was persistent and snuck Under the ramp to get back in!! I have moved the "nest" numerous times and she keeps bringing it back. Today we closed the ramp such that she cant get in.....wellllll.....Maybe I better go check before I make strong statements :lau

I lock my Muscovy out of the coop every morning and open the pop door in the evening so the chickens can go in to roost as soon as that door is open in she goes. Their brains are hardwired. Shes been broody all summer. My second broody is in the coop where I have the chicken nest boxes so she hasn’t been lock out. She went through the stage where she was being mean to her sisters so I had to lock her out one evening while I was cleaning up. When I opened the door for her to go back in she behaved. Springs and summers are always interesting. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom