Broody Hen Won't Eat or Drink Much

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SproutGirl, Nov 13, 2008.

1. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    I have a broody RIR (It's her 1st time, and mine too) who won't eat much, and hardly ever drinks. I have to bring her food in order for her to eat, and she has been eating less and less each day. She is on day 13 today. She probably drinks about a teaspoon of water each day (if that). I have been adding electrolytes and vitamins to her food to try to supplement her intake because I am worryed about her. She won't eat her chicken food, only treats. So I have been making a concoction of 7 grain "oatmeal" with milk and vitamins/electrolytes and just a little bit of cracked corn mixed in. I have to take her off of her nest for her to get up and go to the bathroom. She won't do it on her own. Is this all normal? How much food does a broody need to eat, and how can I get her to eat and drink more without disturbing the hatch? Thanks for your input!

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Have food and water easily accessible to her. She'll get up to eat and drink when she knows its safe to do so. they don't eat or drink much hile broody. Don't worry, let her do her thing.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I bet she comes out to eat and drink when nobody is looking, not even the cat. They'll come out 1x a day to eat, drink, and poo. Just put her food and water close by and she'll be fine. It is a rough job on them, so a good reason to break broodies who don't have eggs to hatch for you.

4. kobesmom81

kobesmom81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Atwater, CA
    DH attached a food and water dish to Black Mama's nesting box as soon as she went broody so she only had to come out to go potty. And once a day I would slip her a couple slices of whatever treats everyone else was getting. In 20 days I have not seen her come out of the box one time and DH has only seen her come out one time. Today her first baby hatched! I was kinda worried about her at first but realized she was fine the first time I reached in to pet her and she pecked me. As long as she can still peck at me I know she is perfectly fine!

5. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Ha ha. Maybe I am spoiling my little Frieda! She doesn't peck me as long as she knows that I am the food train! Thanks for the advice guys! I guess I was just expecting her to have the same appetite that she had before she decided to hatch a little family.

6. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Yeah, dont worry, their metabolism slows and body body temp. drops and they dont require as much or as often....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by