Broody hen won't get back on nest.

jordanraugustin

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2016
My hen had been broody for 4 days sitting in her regular nesting box on two infertile eggs. She came out for water in this 95 degree weather once a day and a dust bath and ran back in to get back to her nest.
I got some fertile eggs, set up a brooding area for her to be separated, moved her last night and she just will not get back on her nest. She can still see the flock so she walks to fence trying to get back with them. Give it more time? It's been about 12 hours now. Is there anything I can do? Or did I just accidentally break her broodiness by moving her?

You may have broken her, some hens will just not be moved no matter what. I would let her back into her original nest and see if she gets back to it. If she does, mark your fertile eggs with a Sharpie and give them to her. You'll have to check her everyday to remove any new eggs other hens might lay there, but its a better alternative than wasting your fertile eggs, in my opinion.

:fl

You may have broken her, some hens will just not be moved no matter what. I would let her back into her original nest and see if she gets back to it. If she does, mark your fertile eggs with a Sharpie and give them to her. You'll have to check her everyday to remove any new eggs other hens might lay there, but its a better alternative than wasting your fertile eggs, in my opinion.

:fl

Thank you for your suggestion! I can do that. Definitely worth a try.
When chicks are hatched, do I just then separate the hen and chicks from flock for a bit?

I don't, but you can if it makes you feel like they'll be safer. My broody hens are a force to be reckoned with and they kick the other birds behinds if they get too close...

If possible fence off her nesting site...Allow her enough room to get off the nest and back to the eggs. Meaning a place to feed and water when she needs it. You could also try moving her and the eggs at night once the sun is going down. To the chosen nest with the eggs also. It has been done so I know it works...

If possible fence off her nesting site...Allow her enough room to get off the nest and back to the eggs. Meaning a place to feed and water when she needs it. You could also try moving her and the eggs at night once the sun is going down. To the chosen nest with the eggs also. It has been done so I know it works...

We fenced off a good sized area with food and water and moved her and her nest at night.
She's back sitting on the nest now so I'm hoping she was just disgruntled with the move and need some 18 hours to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom