Broody hen won't leave the nest.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amzevans, Sep 4, 2014.

1. amzevans

amzevans Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me? This is my 2nd time hatching under a broody and am concerned. My last broody got off the nest for food and water everyday, my current broody hasn't moved off the nest since we put the eggs under her 4 days ago. Will she be ok if this continues or should I turf her off the nest for a bit. I don't want to disturb her too much and risk her abandoning the eggs completely but I also don't want her to become ill. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    She may be getting off the nest when your not around but if your concerned go ahead and take her off once in awhile. If she really has been sitting for 4 days she will almost certainly go back to the nest on her own. I would take that time to mark the eggs she's sitting on with a pencil or a sharpie so that you can tell which eggs are which in case she ends up with extras as the newer eggs wont hatch at the same time as the first ones and will just go to waste. Some hens will squeeze in the nest with her and lay and some broodys will steal eggs from other nests. I have a cochin that is very good at tucking eggs under her wing and taking them back to her nest, her record is 7 eggs in on day.
    One other option if you have the room is to give her food and water in the nest.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. amzevans

amzevans Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Lol :). I've marked the eggs and we have a big run and have shut the others out. They can still see her and we have another house. My broody is one we hatched last year. I don't know why I get so worried just really get excited at though of new chicks. :) thanks for your help. If I don't boot her out and she isn't moving on her own will she be ok? X

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by