Broody hen won't stop....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crazy_Chicken_Lady, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Crazy_Chicken_Lady

Crazy_Chicken_Lady Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    The Empire State
    :| I have a very sweet Buff Orp (Ole' Bitty) who insists on keeping on setting on a plastic egg. She's going on 4-1/2 weeks now. She's getting poor, as she won't get out of the box to eat or drink or poop! I've had to hook water and feed to her nest box so she won't starve. Is this normal or will she not give up until she's a momma? I don't have a rooster and I'm afraid to order fertile eggs as I don't want to expose my hens to other diseases, plus I have Urban hens so I can't chance having a roo.

I've tried to set her off the nest and I've shut her in the 2nd room of the coop just to have her fly over and go right back to the nest. She goes totally nuts when I put her in a cage- I'm afraid to do this as she might hurt herself.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.... I'm off to bed![​IMG]

2. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    get the poor lass some chicks already!

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    dunk her in cold water (really old way) or put ice cubes or an ice pack under her (the cold will make her think the eggs are dead) these are some old ways of doing it. You could separate her that is how I broke mine there are lots of diffrent ways of doing it.

Henry

4. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    did you try simply taking the plastic egg away from her when you remove her and roughing up the next a little bit?

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Get some day old or week old chicks... shouldn't be tough.

6. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    LOL I think my ways still sound best [​IMG]

7. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Get some baby chicks for the poor girl! Wait till dark and slip them under her and remove the plastic egg. Make sure they are a day or two old maybe even a week old would be fine for a smaller breed of chicken.

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Put her in a cage with a wire bottom and keep her in there for a couple of days with just food and water, no bedding. She won't be able to make a nest and even if she does try to lay down, the cool air under the wire will make her butt cold!
    I've never tried it but I've heard this trick will break even the toughest of broodies.

9. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    actually I would not let her hatch or even have chicks if she is doing poorly raising chicks is allot of energy I would break her If I were you.

Henry

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

The bucket of water thing (not really cold) worked for my persistent broody. Worked rather quickly and well for mine, but I would hesitate to do it to a hen who has sat for that long. Especially if she's doing poorly. I think the wire cage thing, or maybe a longer time away from the nest( along with one of her coop mates for company) may be warranted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by