Broody Hen Won't Walk/Can't Stand Up

ccollins4jc

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2019
I have a beautiful cochin, almost one year old, who has been broody off and on for the past few months. I can usually break her out of it after a week or two. This time, it's been about 3 weeks and yesterday when I took her out of the nesting box in the afternoon/evening, she was a bit flopped forward with wings partially spread. When I went to put her on the ground she couldn't support her weight at all. (I saw her out and about earlier in the morning that same day, eating, pecking, etc.)

Each day that I take her out of the box, on occasion, she flops down and won't get up but eventually I see her out walking around. This time was different. I brought her inside and gave her some protein treats and water but she only took a little bit. I thought she may be experiencing heat stroke but she really wasn't panting. Her breathing has been normal. But we live in southeast Texas and it is hot! I put her back outside after a few hours last night with the other girls. This morning she was in the same spot I put her in last night. What could be going on and what can I do?

I live in south-ish east Texas to, so I totally understand the heat issues. My Rhode chicks pant up a storm out there. It's a shame that animals have to put up with it. Have you noticed her poo, if it has been runny?

6594269B-AB19-4EFE-93E2-F5FAAA454DBF.jpeg
I don’t have a poo pic

How exactly did you try breaking her of her broodiness? When a hen goes broody she will lose 1/4-1/3 of her body weight while incubating her eggs. Since you have been trying to break her for a few months and have been unsuccessful she is probably very emaciated. A very stubborn broody hen like your girl should have been allowed to set on fertile eggs and hatch chicks so she would start putting weight back on.

Last edited:
We live in a subdivision and can’t hatch chicks. No roo/fertilized eggs. She’s been broody a couple of other times and we can break her out of it by removing her from the nesting box and keeping her away from it for a time. She is a pretty big girl normally and doesn’t seem to have lost much of an appetite until yesterday.

Attachments

• 21FB7ADF-D1C5-4830-A3E1-2755B697279E.jpeg
    21FB7ADF-D1C5-4830-A3E1-2755B697279E.jpeg
    801.7 KB · Views: 5
She just looks broody to me, and it might be particularly uncomfortable if she is also hot. I have had a broody hen who didn't snap out of it when I took her out. You might be at the end of this broody episode if it has been going on for 3 weeks and her eggs are taken away every day.

I sure hope you are right. She just woke up and tried to stand but couldn't. I haven't been able to get her to eat or drink hardly anything this evening.

Back
Top Bottom