Broody Hen Worry?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Calendula, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Calendula

Calendula Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2014
    Right now, one of our chickens has decided to go broody. With it being so close to winter, this isn't the best time. Sure, I would love her to hatch some chicks for me... in the spring. But right now...? Not really.

So far, all of the feathers on her stomach have come off. (I know that this is normal.) And she hasn't moved from the nest. Today, when I took her off to collect eggs, I set her down by the food to encourage her to eat. All she did was sit there with her feathers fluffed up and watch the other hens and rooster eat.

Should I worry about her? I don't want to completely break her of brooding because I would love for her to brood for me later, but is there anything I can do to discourage her for now?

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    With a broody to do the work there is no reason not to hatch chicks this time of year - she will provide the care and warmth they need until they are able to do it on their own.
    That being said - breaking her broodiness now will not impact her broodiness down the road.

3. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    My hens also decided to go broody now. I'm letting them since I wanted to hatch out more chicks anyhow. They should be fine :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by