broody hen wrong nest

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by keystonepaul, Apr 21, 2009.

1. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    I have a broody hen who settled in to a clutch of eggs. I intended to seperate her from the other hens this past weekend but two days into her sitting she got on the wrong nest. I put her back on the right nest, and stayed up late seperating her from the others. No problem since then, But she was off the clutch of eggs for I don't know how long- 2 hours, 5 hours, 8 hours??? Some time that day until I checked on her when I returned home from work. So to the folks with more experience than I, are the chances good she's wasting her time or is it worth letting her continue?? Thanks, Keystonepaul

2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    They should be fine. Broodies do get off their eggs to eat and drink and go to the bathroom. Mine got off for quite a while a few times, and their eggs hatched. [​IMG]

3. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    Candle after a week if you don't see any developement I would dump them and start over

4. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    I didn't eve think of that SunsetWest. Thanks folks for the info and encouragement. Keystonepaul

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by