Broody hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gorillamama, Sep 22, 2015.

1. gorillamama

gorillamama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2015
    All of my hens like to lay in the same spot. For the first time though one of my hens has gone broody and she picked that spot to do it.

Im happy to let her hatch the eggs but what are my other hens going to do? They have other brooder boxes but they don't like to use them. And I couldn't find any eggs from today. I think the broody hen stole them bc The boxes connect

Will she keep stealing them? I sold all but a dozen eggs right before she went broody! I'm going to run out!

2. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Try to move her and the eggs in a different spot. I put my girls in crates with some food and water and lock them up for a day and then let them out once they have agreed to sit in that spot.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The first thing to do is to decide how many eggs you are going to let her set (what breed is she and is she bantam or large fowl?). Choose the eggs you want her to hatch and mark them with a marker - this will help you to know which eggs are which and every day you will need to check her nest and remove any unmarked eggs. This will give you eggs to sell *and* prevent an issue of her having too many eggs to cover/creating a staggered hatch. It isn't so much that she "steals" the eggs (though she can ,especially if your boxes are connected), but also that the other hens will continue to lay in that spot (wedging in next to or even on top of her, or hopping in during her brief breaks), especially since it's the favorite spot.

4. gorillamama

Aug 23, 2015
    I don't have a crate that will fit in the hen house. I could try putting her in the baby chick area I keep sectioned off.

She's mean right now. There was one egg by her that she wasn't quite laying on and when I tried to take it she squaked and pecked me. Then rolled it into her nest and settled back onto the eggs while giving me death glares and clucking angrily lol

5. gorillamama

Aug 23, 2015
    She's a full size chicken. I've never had a hen go broody before and wasn't expecting it now. I'm in Michigan and it's starting to get cold. How many eggs should I allow her to hatch? She's mean right now. Pecked me for trying to take an egg that was by her then shuffled it under her with the rest of them

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How many birds can you afford to add right now - especially given that it is approaching winter and they will be spending more time in the coop (you don't want to overcrowd)? Also, what will you do with any cockerels from this hatch? (these are things to consider before proceeding with hatching)
    As for her being aggressive right now - that's a good broody. If she is aggressive enough/you are nervous enough, put on a good leather glove for your handling of her - but then just get down to business and do what you need to do -- the glove will protect you. If you allow her to brood in the coop where other birds are mingling with her you will have to handle her so as to check the nest and remove unmarked eggs -- if you prefer not to have to do that you'll need to isolate her so that other birds cannot access her area at all to prevent additional eggs getting under her. If you can rig your brooding area to accommodate her that is certainly an option. If you confine her the area needs to be large enough to allow/require her to get up and move away from the nesting area to eat, drink and defecate...and you'll want to be able to access the area easily to clean it because there is nothing like a broody-poop!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

8. gorillamama

Aug 23, 2015

Good points thanks! I'll have to ask my husband on how many he thinks we can fit size wise. Cockerels will get raised and butchered. I think Ive figured out where I want to move her, going to wait until evening so the other hens will hopefully be roosting and not get in the way

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Give her some fake eggs to see if she will settle back to sitting them, once she's settled give her some fresh fertile eggs.

Best of cLuck to yas!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  10. Chang1993

Chang1993 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Here's a broody hen that a lady give it to me. I let her sit on 14 Mille Fleur D'uccle x White D'uccle's eggs.
    She is doing really good of taking care and keep it warm. Hoping her to hatch in November 17, 2015.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by