Broody hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by countrygirl1178, Apr 2, 2016.

1. countrygirl1178

countrygirl1178 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2016
    I am new to having chickens I had a broody hen that had three eggs I also had two week old chicks at the time the eggs hatched so I gave the chicks to her everything went great until the third week now there are three chicks that it seems the hen keeps chasing away what did I do wrong

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC.

It may be caused by the hen recognising that they are not her chicks. For further reading, I'd suggest typing something like "adding chicks to a broody hen" and seeing what pops up.

I'd suggest that you intervene and remove the 3 chicks as the broody will refuse to keep them warm and deny them food.

All the best
    CT

3. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Yeah, I'd separate them. Like CTKen suggested. You don't want them getting hurt, chilled or worse starving. Good luck with them and it's not your falt. Hen are particular sometimes. :hugs

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by