Broody hen

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mbull, Jun 3, 2016.

1. mbull

mbull Hatching

Jun 3, 2016
    I have a broody hen that has hatched two chicks so far. Both chicks died by being squished by the hen. How can I prevent her other chicks to die?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockwit Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I have no experience of this, but if you post your question on the "Hatch-a-long" forum and search for the "Broody hen" thread maybe the experts will be able to make suggestions.

Good luck

CT

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Sorry to hear about the loss of your chicks. Is she a first time broody? Please do pop by the broody hen thread as CT suggested ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread
    I'm sure members there will be able to offer you advice.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would stay up (if I had to) and watch for the next one, etc. to hatch and remove it to a warmed up incubator. Or just take all remaining eggs and put in incubator to prevent this was happening again. Since this happened to two chicks, I just wouldn't risk any more with her.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member 7 Years

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to hear about the losses! That is so sad. It could be she is just really clumsy with them. I would remove the newly hatched chicks and keep them warm until they are fluffed up and dry, and/or until she's done hatching them. Then make sure they have a nice padded nest under mom and tuck them in under her wings when she's sleeping in the evening. Best of luck!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by