1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicky1016, Jun 10, 2016.

1. chicky1016

chicky1016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2015
    South jersey USA
    My langshan hen has gone broody. Today is day 2. I want try to break her of this asap because I have read that the longer you wait, the harder it is. The issue I am having is that I have a wire cage, however the only way I can keep her safe from predators is to put the cage in the coop, which has pine shavings. If I section out a spot with no shavings and put the cage there, so that the bottom is bare, will that be just as good?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Put the crate up on some lumber or bricks.
    Water nipple bottle added after pic was taken.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I like Aart’s method but when my regular broody busters were occupied (one is my brooder, the other a grow-out coop) I suspended a dog cage from the ceiling. It was easier for me to get it out of the way by hanging it instead of propping it up. There are always different ways to do about anything.

If you can get them early they sometimes bust easier, but to me the big advantage is that they come back into lay faster. A broody hen lives a lot off of fat that she has stored up since she is not eating much. The longer she is broody the more fat she burns up. She has to replace that fat before she starts to lay again.

4. chicky1016

Jun 20, 2015
    South jersey USA
    Thanks. I did just what you said. She was not happy.. I feel bad but she made me do it! Lol

5. chicky1016

Jun 20, 2015
    South jersey USA
    Well this didn't work... she's still broody. What else can I try??

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Occasionally that happens, I just do it again.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Just keep her in there until she passes the 'do not go to nest' test when you let her out.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by