Broody hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by homestead 101, Jul 2, 2016.

1. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    I have an ester egger hen that hatched out four chicks. I have them all in a separate cage away from the main flock. There is wire on two sides, and I put the waterers for the main flock around the broody cage so they can still interact but not harm each other. My question is, when will the chicks not need the mother any more. And when can I put them with the main flock.

2. ChickenKeep01

ChickenKeep01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    you can put incubated chicks in a flock at about 6 weeks so i imagine it would be the same

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    A momma hen will protect her chicks from the rest of the flock. In my experience, other flock members generally ignore chicks that were hatched in the main coop. I do not separate momma and chicks at all, and I have never lost a chick. Momma will decide when the chicks are old enough to look after themselves and you will know by her going to roost with the main flock (her chicks no longer needing her warmth).

Ct

4. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Just a question. How do you feed the chicks different food while stopping the older ones from eating it? Thanks

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Feeding them a Flock Raiser/All Flock feed works well... just add oyster shell on the side for the layer hens...

6. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016

7. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

RavynFallen has good advice, or you can also use a creep feeder to keep hens out of the chick feed and hang feeders with layer feed for the hens high enough up that the chicks can't reach it.

Here's an example of a creep feeder. The chicks can get through/under it to get to the feed but the hens can't.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by