Broody hen

Days poultry

In the Brooder
May 19, 2016
Hi My silkie was off her was off her eggs for about a half hour when i felt her eggs they were a bit cold will they still hatch shes sitting on them now

Hens need to eat, drink, and poop while they are sitting on eggs. The eggs will cool down to the touch a little while she is off the nest but that is normal. She'll probably get off the nest once every day.

This is possibly not the best forum for your question (I checked and you have posted here in the past), but you have good advice. And don't worry about not posting in the most ideal forum - members will happily direct to you to the most appropriate one, or advise.

All the best
CT

Is this her first time being broody? Often beginners don't know what they should be doing. Generally broodies won't leave the nest to eat/drink/poo unless you put them outside 2 or 3 times a day. If she keeps leaving the eggs unattended you may want to put them in an incubator instead.

I have been breeding for a few years now all i want to know was if the eggs were a bit cold will they hatch but thanks for your replies

Unless you are having very cold weather they should be fine. Silkies are generally among the top broodies, though some young ones will improve with experience.

Back
Top Bottom