Broody hen?

chubbchubb7

Songster
Apr 19, 2016
I don't see her most of the day and when I do see her it's for short periods of time. Finally found the nest and she was on it. She was all fluffed out, covering the whole thing. I haven't thought about it until now so I don't know if she's going into the coop at night, but I do know she's absent most of the day and I don't see her in the early morning. Is she broody?

A few questions.....

What breed? How old? Where was the nest found? Did she "growl" at you when you approached? Did she "puff up" at you?

It does sound like a broody BUT age and breed as well as the growl and puff up answers will certainly help us help you.

She is an old English game hen. She's probably around 1-1.5 years old. When we got her she wasn't laying yet.
I didn't get close because she's VERY particular about laying her eggs and she will move where she lays them if she thinks someone will or is going to mess with them. I just glanced over and casually kept walking like I didn't even notice her. When I went back to check on her after lunch, she was still there and I just went far enough to see and left. She's in the bushes.
I think she is leaving them at night though... Is there a way to encourage her not to? Or is it ok for her to be gone from them at night? We live in Florida but it's been a little cool at night (50s). Should I place food and water nearby?

Sounds like a broody for sure. That is a broody kind of bird too.

Not my bird but if she were this is how I would handle it.

I would go check after dark. If she is on them I would make a chicken tractor and lower that over her and the nest while she sleeps. It will take a few days I am sure to make one. Be sure to make an access door so you can put food and water in there. It need not be a complicated structure. An A-frame should work. Of course her being in the shrubs will make all this more challenging.

A 4x4 should do as she is a small breed. Then you have bought some time to figure out how to handle her and her chicks. Keeping her safe should be first priority.

The other option is to let her be and see. I would be concerned about a predator getting her.

I was thinking along those lines. Are the eggs ok to be left that long at night?
We haven't had much problems with predators lately (thank God! We had a go of it between neighborhood dogs and ours for a while). I am not sure how hubby will react to another project needing to be done lol.
If she isn't there at dusk, what do I do about getting her in there? Or just trap her in the day time?

If she is not in there at dusk she is not fully brooding so no point as the eggs would not survive.

If this has been only going on a few days the eggs can still hatch.

I say give her time. If not there at dusk it can take up to a week before she sits solid.

Not sure. We got home late but I will check tonight. I wonder if she was, because normally when I go out to feed she's not in the coop and she was this morning looking for water and food.
I did set her some water and food in front of the best. She was asleep on it when I checked a minute ago.
Pen or no pen? She's pretty hidden. The house is behind the nest and bushes in front and around it

Back
Top Bottom