Broody Hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Standard Hen, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have never had a broody hen in my life so I need some pointers. I have a white rock that will not get off the hay bale where they lay thier eggs. I took the eggs out last night and everyone went in when they usally do and locked up for the night. This morning when I let everyone out I noticed she was not there. I ran back to the barn and there she was still sitting. She seems fine except her comb is leaning to the side? What do I look for in a broody hen? At the moment I have no roosters.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well...if you dont have a roo, I would just gather the egs from her every day. Now, if you can get your hands on some fertile eggs, and want chicks...you an give them to her...preferably in the evening so as not to upset her.
    I have a rir/australorp hen that went broody last monday. July 16th. She has 5 eggs under her, all marked with a crayola. Not sure she will continue her broody, its her first time. In a way, I hope she does...but then again, i DONT need more chickens! LOL

3. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    A hen will go broody I hear because of the increase daylight. Sometimes it is very hard to break a broody. When they go broody they go into this zen like trance and will sit on the nest forever. Sometimes a stick of dynamite won't get them off lol. I heard you can break a broody by removing the eggs and as well as the nesting material. You can get some fertile eggs if you would like chicks. Some broodies raise chicks wean them after 4 or 5 weeks and go right back to being broody again. Some breeds are more broody than others, especially Buff Orpingtons.

4. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Well,,,,she is back on the hay bale, we took her off to make sure she is ok and she is very grump but seems fine. I suppose this is my first broody hen. But why is her comb laying over, is that a sign too besides sitting and going nowhere? Of course I took any eggs that anyone layed as like I said I have no rooster.

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:I wish someone would have told my broody Mottled Cochin this...she's a bit confuzzled as the days are getting shorter now. [​IMG]

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by