Broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sophiesocks, May 2, 2017.

1. sophiesocks

sophiesocks New Egg

May 1, 2017
    My buff Orpington is brooding in the nest box and has been for 3 days now, I haven't actually seen her leave for food or water.
    Today I removed her from the nest box ..... never again, oh my god it was like world war 3 has started.
    She isn't actually sitting on any eggs because she lays on the coop floor then goes back to the nest box.
    Any help great appreciated [​IMG]

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    She's still laying eggs? They usually quit when they go broody. Would you like her to hatch some eggs, or do you want her to not be broody?

3. sophiesocks

sophiesocks New Egg

May 1, 2017
    I believe she is still laying yes, I've got 14 chickens and to be honest I've no idea who is laying and who isn't as it's never really bothered me, but I get about 10 to 12 a day, but I got them for there beauty so eggs are just a bonus I would happily live without [​IMG]
    Well for starters I really want her to eat and drink that's my main concern at the min.
    Baby chickens are fine too but we have no cock just 14 head strong ladies [​IMG]
    I just want her to be healthy

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If there is no reason for her to sit, you may want to break her broodiness. From what I have read, the fastest, most effective way to do this is to put her in an elevated, wire bottomed cage with no bedding or nesting material. Just food and water. She should get over it in a few days.

5. sophiesocks

sophiesocks New Egg

May 1, 2017
    Thankyou I'll try this tomorrow

6. maryann momhen

maryann momhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2014
    new jersey
    My buff Orpington is being broody now too. I took her out of the nest box today because I wanted her to come out and get fresh air, it was hot in there today, but she kept digging a hole and puffing up really big and kept shaking and ruffling her feathers really big. Especially when any other chicken or even I went near her. It seemed like she was stressed out and saying stay away from me. Is that typical?

7. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    I frequently have broody hens. I bought a large rabbit cage with a wired bottom and I put them in there when I don't want them to hatch eggs. It def. works. Put her in the cage in the coop if possible with food and water for 3 days without removing her. She should go back to being a chicken after that.

Kathi R Evans likes this.
  8. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire

Yes this is typical. She is puffing up to make herself look bigger than she is. If you don't want her to be broody then the wired cage is a great broody buster

9. Grannys Peeps

Grannys Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    My Mindy has been keeping to the nest for about 3 days now and has been puffing up with me but is gentle. I took her out this evening and held her and she would shake until I started talking to her. I put her down and she just sit there and I put her back in the coop. I am new to this at 6 months and not sure what to do. I have read the other post and it sounds like she wants some babies. She is laying eggs but not every day like she was. I put some food close to her and it is gone so I know she is eating or wanting to eat. I saw her off the nest 2 days ago. I have no Roo. Help....

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    First of all, get the food and water far enough from the nest that she has to get off it to eat and drink. They lose condition when they're setting, so it's good for them to get up now and again. Also, having food and water too close to the net encourages them to poop in the nest. You don't want that.

My question to you is, do you want and can your setup handle more chickens? If the answer to either question is no, your best bet is to break her broodiness. The most effective way that I have read is to put her in an elevated wire bottomed cage (like a wire dog crate) with food and water but no bedding for about three days. She'll get over it and get on with her life.

If you do want more chickens you can either find her some fertilized eggs to set on or let her set on unfertilized eggs or fake ones for roughly 3 weeks, then slip some feed store chicks under her. Ideally, they need to be under a week old - the younger the better.

Just remember that you are the human. You get to decide whether or not she has babies.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by