1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by skirbo, Jan 5, 2009.

1. skirbo

skirbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    Okay, so I haven't had chickens long. Got them to keep a feral roo company and in a coop rather than playing tag with the local traffic. One of them, a buff orp, has been sitting on an egg on the nest pretty much every day for a week now. She gets up and goes to eat when I go in the coop and put food down, but she gives me an evil eye when I take her egg.

Should I consider this broody behavior? She's in the coop with a roo of undetermined origin, so I'm not inclined to try letting her hatch any of her own, but I might get some to slip in there and see what she does.

Thoughts?

Sarah

2. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    She's broody. BOs are notorious broodies. Does she screech at you when you take her egg away? Does she sit on the egg all day? You might want to get her some hatching eggs. Look under buy/sell/trade for some. You should do this soon.

3. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Sounds like a broody hen to me....I did the same thing I seperated her into a small dog crate and slipped some fertile eggs I bought local under her...marked the calender....and waited....she hatched out 5 of the 6 I put under her....

4. skirbo

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    Thanks guys. I have some EE eggs in a friend's bator at the moment, which is frustrating, because now I'll have boo-koodles of babies. I'll keep an eye out on the hatching egg section.

Thanks again,
    Sarah

5. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Sounds broody to me. Although I've never had one go broody on me at this time of year. I have had hens spend a lot of time on the nest, possibly to stay away from the rooster or to stay warm.
    I have slipped eggs under hens before with success. I wouldn't do it now, because it is just too cold. It takes a lot out of a hen to hatch and raise a bunch of chicks. I usually wait til April to have my hens hatch out chicks for me. This year I plan on having several hens hatch chicks at the same time, so they can share the parental duties.

6. FarmerDenise

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    You could put the eggs from the incubator under the broody hen. The hen doesn't know if it has been 21 days or 7 days. They start communicating with the chicks before they hatch. She'll probably do a better job then the incubator. And it is so fun to watch the hen with her newly hatched youngsters.
    I've slipped purchased chicks under hens before, after I had them sit for maybe a week on fake eggs. I have only had one chick rejected by the moms. Chicks raised by a Momma hen act a lot different. And mine are still tame, because I handle all of them a lot and try to help the moms.
    You would have to make sure the mom and her chicks are kept in a warm place. Because some moms will wear themselves out, taking care of their chicks. Watch the hen carefully, to make sure she eats and drinks and gets breaks. Fortunately BO's are sturdy chickens. I have lost two Silkie hens to chick rearing. But Silkie's are notorious for broodyness and being good moms.

7. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    shes broody, best incubator ever made

8. skirbo

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    I never would have thought of doing that. I'll think about getting the eggs from the friend and putting them with her. They'd have a car trip first though, about twenty minutes, and they are due to start hatching this Thursday or Friday anyway.

Is she going to get stressed out if I *don't* let her hatch and raise something?

Sarah

9. FarmerDenise

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    She'll get over it. If I let my Silkie hatch something every time she goes broody, I woudn't have any eggs to eat, be overcrowded with chicken and she'd starve herself to death. (Which two of them basically did). When I am not ready to have the hen go broody, I just keep taking her of the nest and keep removing the eggs. I also remove any fake eggs I might have in the nest boxes. Sometimes it takes a week for her to loose interest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by