BROODY HEN

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 11langenkamp_w, Jan 10, 2009.

1. 11langenkamp_w

11langenkamp_w Songster

Aug 23, 2008
    sidney, ohio
    Will a silkie that hasnt laid yet but is going to any time go broody?Or a black rose comb bantam? Also if they were to be laying would they set on other eggs? And even if they werent laying?

2. jhm47

jhm47 Songster

Sep 7, 2008
    Very doubtful that a hen that hasn't laid an egg would go broody.

3. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Songster

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Quote:You wouldnt think so, but I have a little hen, that went broody as soon as she started laying! and now I have her and three puddins on my desk!

I learned my lesson tho, I will never let a broody hen hatch mid winter ever ever again!! No sirreee Bob!

[​IMG]

4. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Songster

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:You wouldnt think so, but I have a little hen, that went broody as soon as she started laying! and now I have her and three puddins on my desk!

I learned my lesson tho, I will never let a broody hen hatch mid winter ever ever again!! No sirreee Bob!

[​IMG]

Why? to hard on the eggs/chicks? I have 2 broodies right now that won't come off the nest & they are not laying on anything. I was going to get some silkie eggs but it has been so cold here in MI & colder next week they are forcasting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by