broody hen

In my years of working in greenhouses, spring/summer are entirely too hot even with vents fully opened. The question not asked is the truly daft one.

I prefer to let my broodies brood inside the main coop. Separating broodings makes reintegrating both the hen and chicks more complicated, difficult, and stressful. If you've got a big enough coop, a small crate is great spot for a broody to safely sit on eggs without being bothered by the rest of the flock, but maintains enough contact that they don't consider her a stranger.
And I agree that greenhouses are much too warm to keep chickens in.
Some people might think a greenhouse would be great for chicks, since it is so warm inside them. One giant brooder that maintains 90 degree temps may sound like a dream to some, but it's more of a death trap than a dream.

that's a really BAD idea!!! and are you wanting her to hatch eggs? If not just wait until she comes off of her nest IN THE MAIN COOP!!! because she will from time to time for a gorging session and then take the eggs a replace them with ice cubes!!! WORKS EVERY TIME!!!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom