Broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aurajean515, May 30, 2019.

1. aurajean515

aurajean515 Chirping

Oct 6, 2018
    My Austrolorp hen, Annie, has been sitting on 13 eggs for about a week. There were 15 but I took two because I was worried it was too much for her. I have hatched smaller broods in the past, 7-10 chicks, but I’m worried 13 is also too much? I’ve candled the eggs and theres defintiely something growing in all of them. When I checked on her this morning though, some of them were cold or had cold spots. Now I’m worried they’re all going to die. Thoughts?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You candled and saw development indicating that things are going well. As long as she has a well constructed nest (bowl shaped) so that eggs don't roll away from her, just leave her alone. If she is not adequately covering the eggs provide nesting material to create a proper nest.

aurajean515 and Tycine1 like this.
  3. mainelychic

mainelychic In the Brooder

May 5, 2017
    Best of Luck! I have 2 hens that have gone broody. They're 1st times and mine as well. I did separate them from the rest of the flock. They can still see them but just put up a temporary wall.

4. aurajean515

aurajean515 Chirping

Oct 6, 2018
    Thanks guys! I did decide to move her into a Dog crate, I went out to check on the girls this morning and found her on a completely different clutch of eggs in a different nest box. Hopefully all is OK!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: