Broody Hen

ManitobaQuail

Songster
Aug 28, 2018
Canada
Every spring/summer we get at least one hen gone broody. We usually try marking about 6 eggs to start with for her to sit on. However, they always all end up broke by day 10 or so.

Just thought I’d share it here to see if people have experience like this and whether they’ve done it successfully?

(Pic 1 is the hen sitting on it; pic 2 is the eggs - we usually have to push them together every night we pick up the eggs)

Attachments

• 6EF98F70-8398-4BE5-92C1-67461DE960CC.jpeg
    6EF98F70-8398-4BE5-92C1-67461DE960CC.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 7B0E42A3-9966-46D4-B5F1-152C3AF5F1D8.jpeg
    7B0E42A3-9966-46D4-B5F1-152C3AF5F1D8.jpeg
    495.1 KB · Views: 29
Every spring/summer we get at least one hen gone broody. We usually try marking about 6 eggs to start with for her to sit on. However, they always all end up broke by day 10 or so.

Just thought I’d share it here to see if people have experience like this and whether they’ve done it successfully?

(Pic 1 is the hen sitting on it; pic 2 is the eggs - we usually have to push them together every night we pick up the eggs)
Quails don’t usually sit on the eggs. Usually you have to incubate them or get a broody chicken. I have a set up right now and the quail eggs are in a box and for some reason the male goes up to the eggs and pecks them and walks all over them.

Quails don’t usually sit on the eggs. Usually you have to incubate them or get a broody chicken. I have a set up right now and the quail eggs are in a box and for some reason the male goes up to the eggs and pecks them and walks all over them.

Lol yes, we have been keeping quail for years and hatch out literally hundreds of chicks every month.

I’m posting because some of our hens turn broody each summer and spring so I am seeing if others have let them hatch successfully.

I too have a few females go broody. Isn't it funny that they hiss exactly the same way as a broody chicken?

One of my males stands guard over the eggs too - so sweet.

Moving the eggs is a big no - even when one decides to make a nest in the corner where I open the door.

Problems I have also found -

*after a week or so the hen can attack the male and other hens - or the broody might get attacked herself.
*they make nests in some inconvenient places.
*they do not sit the eggs to full term.

As yet none have actually hatched their own eggs.

Our Black as well as Blue Australorps represent many good things...but broody is not one of them. However, this year ...for some reason we don't understand ...yet....4 of our 15 black breeding hens have gone broody and are currently setting on 42 eggs....due to hatch soon and over the next two weeks.

Wayne, one of the flock reps. has concluded that they have been pampered too much, gained too much weight and want a forced diet and a rest....so go broody. LOL

Last edited:
I too have a few females go broody. Isn't it funny that they hiss exactly the same way as a broody chicken?

One of my males stands guard over the eggs too - so sweet.

Moving the eggs is a big no - even when one decides to make a nest in the corner where I open the door.

Problems I have also found -

*after a week or so the hen can attack the male and other hens - or the broody might get attacked herself.
*they make nests in some inconvenient places.
*they do not sit the eggs to full term.

As yet none have actually hatched their own eggs.

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting. How come you should’ve move the eggs?

Yes, the brood instinkt has gone lost over the ceturies of domestication.

There are rare reports of broody japanese quails, really brood till the end AND teaching the chicks.

As far as I read, it is imperative to seperate the broody hen from the flock, but seperation can also can make them quit.

Best results I read, is to use a Ayam Serama bantam chicken hen as wet nurse/nana ... despite the language differences, Seramas are very broody and adopt nearly any chick.

I am thinking of to get some Seramas next year, when I am ready with my breeders lot.

My hen went broody last year and the other hens started laying their eggs in her nest. She had to care for almost 20 eggs. The hen gave up after about a week and didn't lay eggs for two weeks. :(

Interesting, I assume 20 is too many? We never had a quitter unless we take away all the eggs. Otherwise she sits on them consistently (at least when we check the hutch she's always there)

Back
Top Bottom