Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrimsonTide248, Mar 6, 2009.

1. CrimsonTide248

CrimsonTide248 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2008
    Bay Minette
    Is it normal for a hen to go broody if there is no rooster around? We have a deformed Black Australorp hen that has gone broody and is quite comical to watch defending her eggs (hers and some other hens eggs). I figured that there needed to be a rooster around for this to happen.

2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Mine is and I have no rooster. She's been sitting on eggs I bought for 20 days so hopefully sometime this weekend I'll have a few new chicks![​IMG]

Everybody says it's the best 'bator you could own![​IMG]

3. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Hens go broody when their hormones tell them to. Whether or not there is a rooster present is immaterial to egg production or broodiness. When their hormones tell them to brood------they brood! Like most females, the influence of males is ignored.

4. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    Basic Biology Confucious say "Hen may sit on eggs, but without rooster, they will not hatch...".

5. highcountrychickens

highcountrychickens Head Rooster Jouster

Aug 28, 2008
    Jackson Hole
    1Mommahen, I have always wanted to try that with store-bought eggs! I read a post about someone doing it with 100% success with Trader Joe's eggs, and it still cracks me up. Will you post pics when they hatch?
    Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by