Broody hen

Edgara

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2020
Hi good afternoon i have 2 broody bantam hens and i have eggs under them. one has 6 eggs under her and the other has 2 they are going to hatch on sunday but at first i had them in the incubator and put the eggs under the hens when there was only 2 weeks left and i am wondering if i can put the 2 eggs that the hen is sitting on and put them under the hen that has six eggs so that i could put a new clutch under the hen that only has two eggs but i am scared that she will get up after a week because she already has been broddy for 2 weeks or do you you think that she will stay on the nest for another 3 weeks.

I think she would get up after too long of setting because she might get confused why she has to sit so long. But if you want, you could wait for another hen to go broody, then give her eggs. Or you could split the clutch between the two hens, because I don't think the other one would like being neglected of chicks. :)

The chicks hatching triggers the hen to get off the nest. Not a time amount. Ducks which take 4 weeks have been successfully hatched with broody chickens.

Back
Top Bottom