Broody hen

ErikCH

Chirping
Jul 18, 2020
Hey guys!

Every time I check my nesting boxes over the past few days, there is one hen always in the same box laying on the eggs.

Should I just leave her there to trying and hatch the eggs herself?

Also, there have been no other eggs in the other boxes ( I usually get 4-5 a day). Are the other chickens laying their eggs in the box she’s in and letting her lay on them too?

I’m not sure what to do. I don’t mind the idea of some new baby chicks. Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks!

Need to mark the eggs under her and start removing any extras. Other chickens will climb on top of her, lay, and she will tuck them under.

Gonna guess you know you have to have a rooster for eggs to hatch.
Yeah 😊 I have 2 roosters, and seven hens.
The broody hen is an Araucana, so I know her eggs are blue, along with one other Araucana. The others are Copper Maran and Wyandotte, so they have brown eggs. Will she hatch any fertilized egg or only her own? And should I remove the brown eggs? And maybe put her somewhere by herself with the eggs?

She will hatch any eggs put under her. I've used chickens to hatch duck eggs before.
The thing you have to worry about is a staggered hatch. Sometimes they will leave the nest with the first few chicks and leave the other eggs that might need a few more days. Thats why you need to mark what she has now and not let any new ones in.

She will hatch any eggs put under her. I've used chickens to hatch duck eggs before.
The thing you have to worry about is a staggered hatch. Sometimes they will leave the nest with the first few chicks and leave the other eggs that might need a few more days. Thats why you need to mark what she has now and not let any new ones in.
Ahh ok. Cool!

I have a small unoccupied coop next to my bigger one. If I move her and all the eggs she’s laying on in there would that be ok?

Back
Top Bottom