Broody hen

Mallory F

Chirping
Jan 11, 2018
I have a BCM that is constantly broody. It will take me a month to break her. She'll be fine for a month then she'll go broody again. We don't have a rooster, so no fertilized eggs. She'll sit in an empty nest. She is so skinny. I've thought about letting her hatch some, but I don't want more chickens now and I'm not sure if that would help. Any advise?

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
I have a BCM that is constantly broody. It will take me a month to break her. She'll be fine for a month then she'll go broody again. We don't have a rooster, so no fertilized eggs. She'll sit in an empty nest. She is so skinny. I've thought about letting her hatch some, but I don't want more chickens now and I'm not sure if that would help. Any advise?
Break her.
You need to put her in an elevated wire dog crate with a piece of wood for her to sit on, food and water.
broody breaker.jpg

If it's hot where you are, I would dunk her in a COOL water bath to wet her belly and put her in the crate with a fan directed at her. If you are able to, do this several times throughout the day.
Leave her in the crate in the shade in a predator safe place for three full days and nights. Let her out about 1 hour before roost time on the final day and watch her. If she heads back to the nest boxes, put her back in the crate for another night and day and try again the next night until she roosts.
I, too, have a persistent broody. Every time we get another heat wave, she's back at it. She gets locked up if I find her in there during the day. The Sebright.
Broody brats.jpg

Mallory F

Chirping
Jan 11, 2018
I do all that except dunking her. I break her but in a month she's broody again. She's like a woman with her period🤦

Silkie Princess

🙄🤚Be kind to the Cochins
Premium Feather Member
Jun 24, 2021
Slovakia
My Coop
My Coop
Mabye hatching out eggs for somebody? Like they pay you and give you the eggs and when the broody rises them you give the pullets/cockrells to them?

Mallory F

Chirping
Jan 11, 2018
Wire bottomed crate with no bedding?
Did you leave her in there 24/7....for how many days in a row?
Yep, no bedding only food and water. She was in there for a week. I let her out a couple times a day to stretch and dust bathe and as soon as she went back to the nest she went back in the crate. I'll finally break her and she'll be fine for a month and then she'll go broody again.

bobbi-j

Enabler
11 Years
Mar 15, 2010
On the MN prairie.
Some birds are just chronically broody. You might want to think about whether or not she’s a good fit for your flock. Do you ever plan on hatching out chicks? Will you get chicks in the spring? If yes to either of those, you might want to hang onto her. If you don’t want to have to keep breaking her every month, maybe it’s best to remove her from the flock. I wouldn’t think it would be terribly hard to find someone looking for a good broody.

Top Bottom