Broody hen

Yup, probably. You slip them under the hen at night, sometimes the hen will get upset so be prepared that she may kill them.

Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

It depends on the broody and the timing.

I haven't done it and I don't know who to tag, but it's supposed to work best with a broody who has been sitting long enough that if she had eggs they'd be ready to hatch.

Ya! You usually can! Sometimes they won’t take them, but usually they will. Just keep an eye on them and have a backup brooder just in case! @Pierre duck drake you have broody hens a lot right?
I sometimes have broody hens! We once had a broody hen named Muffin, and she killed a chick we gave to her. But every hen is different! Just be careful and watch her!!

I have never slipped chicks under a broody hen but, we did get pick up two Golden Laced Wyandottes chicks in September of last year. Some might of saw my comment on a post while back.
We have a senior Wyandotte that we picked up in 2012. When I opened the area in the run for the chicks to explore our run, Senior Grandma Goldie took the chicks and showed them around the run. She used to be our broody when she was younger but, I never let her hatch any eggs. What was cute while the chicks were learning is our Rooster had the chicks following him around like a mama would do. It was cute to watch. Prior to letting the chicks lose Rooster would watch them in their area of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom