Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dfchaser, Apr 17, 2009.

1. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    One of my girls has gone broody and i cant get her to decide on a nest. She steals the other girls eggs and then sits on them all day. By the next morning she has stolen different eggs and is in a different spot. We have thought of placing some newly hatched chicks under her, but i dont know if that would really work like we want it to. what should i do? I dont mind her sitting on eggs if she actually kept sitting on the same ones!

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Is there some way that you can seperate her from the rest of your flock so that she only has one nest to set on?

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

3. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    That was another thought, i have a small wire cage, would she stay in there for the entire incubation?

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    That should be fine. Just make sure she has food and water available at all times.

Good Luck!!! [​IMG]

Dawn

5. speedabug

speedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    I know what you mean. All 8 of my hens have went broody and they love making each other mad. Especially my silkie hen Zas Zas she is a egg hogger. Thank goodness all the eggs are due tomorrow YEAH!! GOOD LUCK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by