1. joeman2041

joeman2041 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    I have a hen who has been sitting for a month now. No eggs under her. I understand that she is broody, wants to raise some chicks, but for this long??? Does anyone know of a cure for broody hens. I have about four that are wanting to sit now. HELP!!!

2. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

You are going to have to keep taking them off the nest untill they stop siting. That is what has worked for me; I had a hen try to set in the middle of winter. Good Luck

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

You may have better luck posting this under Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying!

Broodies can become underweight setting like that. It's urgent that she be assessed for weight loss and dehydration. Gather your eggs regularly and as early as possible- you may have to increase her protein load to get her back in shape.

4. rogerf

rogerf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    I had the same thing happen and simply removed her from the coop and kept her in a wire cage for a few days. there I as able to re-hydrate and fatten her up and when I returned her to the flock she was fine.
    I once read that sometimes putting ice bags underneath them when they are sitting will get her off the nest. (they don't like cool bottoms)

Good luck

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The best way to break a broody is to keep her in a small cage off the ground with a wire bottom for three or four days. The wire bottom keeps her undersides cool, which seems to help. Give her food and water and she should be fine. Do not give her anything that looks like a nest or nesting materials.

If you don't have the wire cage, any small cage will do, but it might take a little longer. Just find a way to keep her from going back to her nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by