Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickmama320, Oct 22, 2009.

1. chickmama320

chickmama320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    I knew I had been lax on getting the eggs in the house the last few days (I've been dealing with a sick cat that had to have sx yesterday) but I figured it had cooled down majorly so it wasn't like they would get too warm to still be good. We actually brought the three of them in the house in a dog crate the other night because we had a frost warning and I still haven't gotten the plywood for the coop. Anyways, I got home from work and hubby said that he was worried about Sam (the RIR hen) thinking that she was either trying to lay and egg or was injured. Thats all he said so I went out back and there I found her sitting between the small peice of plywood and the house where they decided that they were going to lay their eggs. As soo as I saw her I knew what was up- she was broody. Sure enough, 8 eggs sitting under her- one of which was the one that I was using to "mark" the nest anyways. So now I have a few questions- how should I get her to stop and what do I do with the eggs because they are having major temp changes- they were uncovered over night two nights ago when it was about 36 degrees and then she's been sitting on them the last two days.

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I would pitch the eggs, the are not worth getting sick over.

My best results in breaking a broody is to put them in a wire bottom cage that is elivated off the floor a foot or two. Only provide food and water, don't even provide a roost. Most of my hens will "snap" out of it within a couple of days. I do have some bantams that I don't even try break up, it's a waste of time.

3. chickmama320

chickmama320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    If I break her of it now will that prevent her from being broody later on in her life (like if I decide I do want chicks later on will she be no good to me?)

4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Nope, shouldn't effect her one bit.

5. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    A lot of hens going broody this fall. I have one and for the life of me I couldn't 'break' (hate that word) her so I got her some fertilized eggs. I wise old woman down the road said she would be fine and the chicks would be well taken care of. So far so good and I don't regret it. You're in the south so you have enough time to hatch eggs. I'm in New Hampshire and the past week the temps have been in the thirties at night.

I think my neighbor is right. We don't give our chickens enough credit to do what they know is right.

Good luck

6. clucky2

clucky2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    NORCAL
    I have a broody silkie I'm trying to decide what to do with. No roo. Can you raise chicks in the winter? I'm in Northern California where nights in winter can be 30's or lower in the coldest coldest of winters. Can a hen keep them warm enough? I thought I'd wait till spring, but maybe it's okay to get her some fertile eggs now. Otherwise I'll have to take steps to break her broodiness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by