Broody Hen??

Maureen&chickens

Songster
10 Years
Jul 25, 2009
Townsend
Okay, here's another newbie question (darn, just when I thought I was getting the hang of this!). . .

My 6 month old Silkie has been laying about an egg a day for 3 weeks. For the last 2 days she will not leave the nest box that she's been sitting in. At first I blamed the cold, rainy weather but now I don't think so. I haven't poked and prodded at her but I'm pretty sure there's at least 1 or 2 eggs under her. Is she broody? How can I tell (past the obvious she won't leave the box)? Do I try to move her out of there?

We do have a standard RIR roo who has tried (I'm not sure successfully) to mate with her for quite a while, so I guess they might be fertile. If they are I don't mind if she tries to hatch them but what if they're not?

Help!!

Is she on the nest at night? Does she puff up and scream at you if you try to look under her?

My light brahma would puff up and scream, but she was never on the nest overnight. She just doesn't like to be bothered when she's on the nest.

Okay, went out and checked under her; no eggs. She won't leave for treats and didn't complain when I lifted her. Other than just sitting for so long she seems okay. Should I be worried?

I have a similar problem, my chicken started laying 4 days ago. She has layed one egg a day for the last 3 days and today she won't leave to nest box. She has been in there all day but no eggs...

How long should it take for her to lay and egg? Can a chicken get broody when it has just started laying?

right well she might peck our puff feathers when touched my broodies usually hardly ever leave the nest so leave food and water close to her. Seems to me she is broody if you want baby chickens well pop some fertile eggs under her and let her do the rest.

Here was my last brood
38252_100_1211.jpg

Back
Top Bottom