1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Maureen&chickens, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Maureen&chickens

Maureen&chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Townsend
    Okay, here's another newbie question (darn, just when I thought I was getting the hang of this!). . .

My 6 month old Silkie has been laying about an egg a day for 3 weeks. For the last 2 days she will not leave the nest box that she's been sitting in. At first I blamed the cold, rainy weather but now I don't think so. I haven't poked and prodded at her but I'm pretty sure there's at least 1 or 2 eggs under her. Is she broody? How can I tell (past the obvious she won't leave the box)? Do I try to move her out of there?

We do have a standard RIR roo who has tried (I'm not sure successfully) to mate with her for quite a while, so I guess they might be fertile. If they are I don't mind if she tries to hatch them but what if they're not?

Help!!

2. karl lutz

karl lutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    My brooder leaves the nest for treats try that.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Is she on the nest at night? Does she puff up and scream at you if you try to look under her?

My light brahma would puff up and scream, but she was never on the nest overnight. She just doesn't like to be bothered when she's on the nest.

4. Maureen&chickens

Maureen&chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Townsend
    Okay, went out and checked under her; no eggs. She won't leave for treats and didn't complain when I lifted her. Other than just sitting for so long she seems okay. Should I be worried?

5. fleur

fleur New Egg

Feb 26, 2009
    I have a similar problem, my chicken started laying 4 days ago. She has layed one egg a day for the last 3 days and today she won't leave to nest box. She has been in there all day but no eggs...

How long should it take for her to lay and egg? Can a chicken get broody when it has just started laying?

6. clucking chicken

clucking chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    right well she might peck our puff feathers when touched my broodies usually hardly ever leave the nest so leave food and water close to her. Seems to me she is broody if you want baby chickens well pop some fertile eggs under her and let her do the rest.

Here was my last brood
    [​IMG]

7. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I bet she is broody [​IMG]

Any chance you could get more eggs to go under her? Maybe from a local farmer or something. I would find her some fertile eggs and go for it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by