Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by noitulover, Nov 11, 2009.

1. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I know I've seen this posted before, but I can't seem to locate it! (so forgive me if I'm repeating everyone else's questions...)

My silkie has been broody for over a month. She's a very docile broody. I mean, we can pick her up and carry her around and she doesn't complain. She clucks a bit, but no aggressive moves, no pecking, no super puffing up of feathers...

I bring her food to her. (i know, spoiled). I mean, I come by with handfuls of feed and she eats out of my hand until she's done. Then I leave her a few pellets next to the nest and she usually finishes them within the next 10 minutes.

She's been broody since the very beginning of October (definitely started in the first week). THere was a BO broody with her, but she's since gotten off the nest and is back to business as usual.

What do I do? She doesn't seem to be in bad health or anything.

P.S. The egg we left underneath of her was not fertile. We have a bantam roo over our flock and I think maybe 1 out of 48 eggs might be fertile or less. The only fertile eggs we EVER get are from the silkie and we didn't leave any of her own eggs underneath of her. Is she going to just CONSTANTLY wait for chicks?

2. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    haha oh yeah, if she's still broody in march, i'll slip some TSC chicks under her! [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by