1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by garylee, Jun 13, 2010.

1. garylee

garylee In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    ohio
    ok so i got a new hen about 2 weeks ago but shes broody even after being moved shes broody i was wondering if i keep her in a wire floor cage if it will stop her from being broody and if she will start laying eggs again

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I don't think putting her in a cage will help any. Do you make her go outside and not let her in nest boxes? Or does she go broody even outside?

3. garylee

garylee In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    ohio
    she goes broody outside to

4. crazy chook

crazy chook Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I am desperate for one of my hens to go broody. [​IMG] I might have to go out and buy some silkie chickens!!!

5. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Im not sure then [​IMG] never dealt with a broody and all I've ever read for advice is kicking them out of the coop and make them have to walk around with the rest of the hens [​IMG]

6. lauralou

lauralou Songster

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I break my broody hens by putting them in a wire cage. With food and water, no nesting material at all. It takes several days, sometimes a week, depending on the particular hen. I don't let her out until she stops acting broody, puffing up and making puck-puck-pucking sounds.

After that, it takes about a week for a hen to start laying eggs again. Sometimes a little longer.

Good luck!

7. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Songster

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    This is my 3rd summer with chickens and I finially got a broody hen. I bought some eggs from a member here and now we are expecting. Funny how hard we try to not let our chichens act like chickens.

8. paridisefarm2009

paridisefarm2009 Songster

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson Florida
    Quote:I am glad you posted that I was going to ask that as a question if you could break a hen from being broody I have one now that keeps wanting to sit on eggs I just run her out of the nest and get the eggs I just don't want anymore babies right now I got enough , (her friend went broody first and I let her have 6 eggs to sit on and she got 5 babies [​IMG] out of them to keep any others I took from her I marked them all so I could tell them apart) I just don't want this one sitting on eggs right now [​IMG]

9. card5640

card5640 Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    24-36 hours in a wire bottom cage works at my house.

10. garylee

garylee In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    ohio
    i think iv broken her from being broody everytime i would see her in the nest box i would pick her up and put her in the run with the other hens and she stopped being broody outside and she still does a little at night so i pick her up a and put her on the roost and today shes out with all the other hens eating and drinking and she goes in where the roost is and roosts but not laying in any lay boxes now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: