broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lonetreeal, Jul 2, 2010.

1. lonetreeal

lonetreeal New Egg

Jul 1, 2010
    Our one hen is refusing to leave the nest, every time we go near she screams at us.

Yesterday I added a roast to the coup, that is higher than the nest box. She will still not leave the box.

Last night she was acting like she was very hot. I put water right in front of her, but she did not go near it while I was there.

Do I have something to worry about? Is this brooding? What can I do? We do not have a rooster.

I hope that I am doing this right, I am internet changled.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG] Welcome to this forum! [​IMG] [​IMG] Glad you are here! [​IMG]

If she is staying on the nest at night instead of roosting in her normal place she is almost certainly broody. In my opinion, you have two choices. You can break her from being broody. This link may help.

Break a Broody Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2176186#p2176186

Or you can give her fertile eggs to hatch. If you decide to go this route, this link may help.

Isolate a Broody? Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

In my opinion, it is cruel to just let her go if she is really broody. Being broody is hard on a hen. She does not eat or drink enough to maintain her health if she is stays broody. It may sound cruel to isolate her for a few days to break her from being broody, but I consider it a kindness if you are not going to let her raise a family.

Good luck! And again, [​IMG]

3. lonetreeal

lonetreeal New Egg

Jul 1, 2010
    Thank you for all your help.

Our hen is doing somewhat better.

We have put her in a cage on cynder blocks.

She is still actting like she is broody, but she is eating a little a drinking water, now.

Our hens are black sexed. [​IMG]

4. Egghead Jr

Egghead Jr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    upstate
    Quote:i assume you mean black sex links but that is extremely rare to have a chicken like that go broody...neat [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by