broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by westonloveschickens, Jul 2, 2010.

1. westonloveschickens

westonloveschickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    how can i tell if a hen is broody becuase i might know a hen that has gone broody me and my freind have long awaited this moment if she has

sign -
    she lays on some eggs that are already in the cat cube ( is that good or is she just trying to lay another egg )

2. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    Yes, she will sit on eggs and doesn't like to get off, but there is a marked change in her personality. She'll puff up her feathers and will cluck very aggressively and may even attack you or peck you if you try to remove eggs . Image PMS X 1000. I have a hen that I call a sitter. She likes to sit on a nest of eggs but has never gone broody. Sometimes she will sit there for an hour or four. I always let her get by with it because she was my best layers but she has never gone broody.

3. westonloveschickens

westonloveschickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    yeah thats what the hen was doing she would just sit on the eggs for and hour or so then she would get off then lay on them again for a half hour then get off and stay off and now shes now she wont sit on them

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    A true broody who's ready to set will stay on the nest overnight and all day long, only getting up for food - and often not that either. I don't give eggs to a broody until she has been staying on the nest consistently for a couple of days. I also have one broody who doesn't get mean. She's just as sweet while brooding as she ever was, so you can't always tell by the personality change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by