1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by obsidianembrace, Jul 4, 2010.

1. obsidianembrace

obsidianembrace Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Utah
    Is it normal for a call duck with upwards of 10 eggs to leave her nest for hours at a time? She sits on them a lot, though.

2. ejctm

ejctm Songster

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    How long has she been sitting, and is she still laying? It may be that she has not got a complete clutch yet and when she decides she has enough, she will start sitting in earnest.

Once she does settle down, she should not really leave the nest for more than half an hour at a time, perhaps only once or twice a day to poop and eat and drink.

If she has just not been sitting properly (and is not laying any more eggs) then you could either move her and the nest into a broody box where she is contained with the nest and food and water nearby, or you could incubate the eggs yourself. Usually, and I say usually as there is always the exception, nature is better than artificial hatching. I hope your duck ends up being a good mum!

3. obsidianembrace

obsidianembrace Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Utah
    she's been sitting for about ten days now and she has ten eggs. she hasn't laid anymore in a few days, so i think she's done laying. she's been sitting on the eggs almost all day, only getting off for a little bit at a time, like you said. we're leaving the eggs under her [​IMG]

my poor drake is freaking out though. he's so lonely and sooo protective of her when she comes out. he's sad [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by