broody hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dlgd, Aug 3, 2010.

1. dlgd

dlgd Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    Hi! New to this blog...I have a hen that sat for 6 weeks. I provided her with a fertile egg , but when it hatched, she killed the poor little thing, and she still acting really strange. She was my dominate hen. She's a Sebright and was really curious and smart. Will she ever get her "brains" back? She acts afraid of me, gets confused and is an entirely different hen. Any thoughts?

2. SAORSA

SAORSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Wine Country
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from central California !!

If you go to the search box, (upper left top of page), you can enter any "search" words and ALWAYS get something.
    I put in - stop broody hen - and found this string.
    I don't exactly know how to post a thread but maybe you can use the number at the end or just go to the search box. [​IMG]

www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=188263

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sometimes pullets just don`t "get it" the first time. Try her again when she gets broody, and if she still doesn`t "get it", don`t let her hatch any more. Some hens just aren`t good mothers, just like people, but your pullets problem is probably inexperience. By the way, just put her back with the flock, for now, and she`ll get over it........Pop

4. dlgd

dlgd Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    I put her back with the flock and she tries to "feed" one of the other hens. Two of my other hens hatched adopted eggs and they seem to be doing ok, though one is MUCH better than the other. My little Missy just watches one of the hens with her chick and tries to be "Auntie" to it. I am hoping when it cools off she'll cool down and things can get back to normal. I had 4 of my 5 hens broody at once...gads!
    Since I'm new to this site, I guess I'd better introduce my girls. There is Missy (sebright), Taffy ( blue wheaten Amerucana), Goldie (Brahman), Lacie (sebright), and Miss Muppet (barred polish fancy). Lacie and Muppet are "adopted" They were sick and left for dead. Lacie is great now, if just a little fearful, Muppet is fighting gangrene on her feet from frost bite and I am hoping we win the war! She's a brave one. And now we have 3 chicks, Cassie (Polish, old english game fowl mix), Sammie (Brahman, Old english mix), they're Lacie's,and Noirie (cochin, blk spanish mix) she's Taffy's. And do I love my girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by