Broody Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azhenhouse, Jan 13, 2011.

1. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    I have a White Plymouth Rock who has been broody since December 27th. How long do they stay broody? When she get's off of the nesting box the other chickens attack her. Is that normal? What about her behavior? She ruffles her feathers and crown and growls at the other hens, and she acts very frantic. Normal? She was also a very large bird and is getting thinner. How long will this go on?

Moving on, I have 11 hens (1 Leghorn, 2 White Plymouths, 2 Ameraucanas, 3 Barred Rocks, and 3 Rhode Island Reds). Recently, the Rhode Islands have turned nasty. They have been attacking some of the other hens. They have always been more aggressive to my white hens because they weren't the "original 8". Now they are just getting nasty with them all. I was thinking about getting a rooster so he can be the bossy one. Would this be a good or bad thing to do.

Love to hear your thoughts and opinions.

2. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This sounds like typical broody behavior. It could take a while to pass. I chose to break my broody , but it took more than a week.

As for a rooster, I have a great rooster . Just be careful with biosecurity with the introduction.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

As
    for the RIR, that seems to be a trait of hatchery RIR. I've had them in the past and they were the same. The roos are awful. There are exceptions, but.... At myu place the stew pot is the only answer. It is possible that a roo of another breed might be OK -- but they would also likely attack him.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2011
  4. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Thanks for all the information. It's very helpful. As for the RIR, I will not get them again. They probably would attack a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by